Jagdhan Finance and Investment Limited is a new Microfinance Institution operating in slum areas in Mumbai. The growing urban market offers Indian MFIs an exciting opportunity to reach underserved populations and to work in diverse and vibrant local economies. The company aims to become a market leader in urban microfinance, developing an in depth understanding of the needs of urban low income clients, and using innovative approaches and delivery mechanisms to promote increased financial inclusion. Its philosophy is to provide high quality financial services, maintaining a strong focus on client protection and social performance.
The Company is currently in the start-up phase with a core management team and operational infrastructure already in place. The main shareholder will be The Agora Microfinance Group (www.agoramicrofinance.com). Based out of London, Agora supports microfinance investments in South East Asia, South Asia and Africa, and is in the process of further expanding its global reach. A company name changing process is underway; in the future it is envisaged that Jagdhan’s name will reflect Agora’s involvement.
Branch Manager Profile
The Branch Manager will be responsible for overseeing day to day branch operations, supervising branch staff, managing the branch portfolio, and ensuring that branch business plan targets are achieved in line with the company’s philosophy. S/he will spend significant amounts of time in the field, developing an excellent understanding of his/her operational area and the needs of the clients within that area. The Branch Manager will lead the effort to expand client outreach while maintaining high quality loan assessment, loan approval, loan disbursement and delinquency management processes. Most importantly s/he will ensure that the company delivers an outstanding service that is client focused and efficient at all times.
- A Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree in business administration, finance, economics or commerce;
- A minimum of 5 years experience of branch operations in a microfinance institution, or any relevant financial institution;
- Advanced computer skills including MS Word and MS Excel and proficient use of the internet and email;
- Knowledge of MIS & Accounting software for day to day operations; an understanding of Core
Banking Solutions (CBS) would be an asset;
- A thorough understanding of microfinance reporting indicators combined with excellent analytical skills and the ability to quickly understand and process operations data;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Proven team work and leadership skills, and the ability to successfully build and manage a team and mentor staff in order to support their professional development;
- Organised, systematic and process oriented with good administrative skills;
- The capacity to work under pressure, prioritise multiple tasks and meet deadlines;
- Fluency in Hindi and English; knowledge of Marathi would be an advantage;
- Flexible and resourceful; the ability to work in a start-up and a willingness to be responsible for a varied set of tasks that will support the company’s growth and expansion;
- A commitment to the Company’s social mission and an enthusiasm to work in a challenging environment, combined with the ability to understand and respond to the diverse needs of urban low income groups.
- Manage the Branch Team and hold regular meetings to plan work and to discuss progress;
- Recruit and train Client Officers and other new staff, and guide and monitor them during the probation period;
- Regularly review and assess the performance of branch staff, conduct supervision meetings and manage the annual performance assessment process;
- Compile relevant quantitative and qualitative data and information as outlined in the Staff Incentives Policy.
- Supervise day to day operations including disbursement and collections management and portfolio monitoring;
- Manage office cash flow;
- Monitor and ensure adherence to organisational policies, procedures and best practices with respect to client acquisition, Know Your Customer procedures, loan appraisals, loan disbursements, loan collections, overdue loans and default management, MIS and accounting and client protection;
- Undertake regular field visits, assessing a sample of loan applications directly;
- Supervise the processing of loan applications and take responsibility for approving all branch loans, based on the strength of the loan application;
- Follow up on overdue loans and doubtful debt and inform the Head of Operations immediately when facing sustained recovery problems in a specific area or with a specific product;
- Submit weekly and monthly financial and narrative reports in a timely manner;
- Maintain office security, cash security and asset records;
- Monitor branch systems and processes and identify potential areas for streamlining and increased efficiency.
Business Planning and Expansion
- Map and assess potential target areas and client groups and supervise and guide staff to establish new sub-branch offices;
- Ensure that targets outlined in the Business Plan are achieved;
- Ensure that feedback and information from the clients and Client Officers is regularly communicated to the Management Team.
Jagdhan is looking for exceptional candidates and will pay a competitive and attractive salary. The benefits package will comprise health insurance, a relocation allowance (where relevant) and incentives.
Please send a CV & a one page cover letter detailing how you meet the eligibility requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is Monday 19th September 2011. Please clearly state the job title of the role that you are applying for in the email subject line. Candidates who do not submit a cover letter will not be shortlisted. Please see the following: www.agoramicrofinance.com/category/news/.